I've had an interest in woodworking for sometime now but it's only recently that I've had the opportunity to pursue it. This is a record of what I'm doing and what I've done and the progress I'm making.
A slide show of a house I'm working on and couple of photos of the gate I made in Shetchup with twisted iron and a twisted cage. If you hover over the 3d view with your curser click and hold you can rotate the 3d view.
So I got some new plugins for SketchUp and just wanted to do a short video to show one of the many tools included in these toolbars. This one is for drawing spiral staircases in three easy moves. It from the folks at Quarr IT and on the website you will see the link for ruby scripts they call them SCF toolbars so I wanted to give credit where credit is due especially since they offer them for free.
This is a house plan I have been working on for a while now. It was drawn using SketchUp and a few plug- ins I have one of which is house builder (credit goes to D. Bur). It actually builds walls, floors and a gable roof. There are several different layers to see the floor plan, walls,an roof. It was done for a friend that supplied the plans and will some day be built. Hopefully. you can click on the link to go to my 3D Warehouse and download it in to SketchUp if you have it on your PC. If not your missing out.
If you do and your unfamiliar with SU you can simply go to View and animation to go threw the different scenes. Link is here Thanks for Looking.
I've been recently learning SU a program to do 3D modeling I've used it before without much success. Until I ran across a video tutorial. This fellow taught me more than basics of modeling but more importantly how to organize the model in such a way that it becomes easier to do some actions and developing into more complex modeling. Some of my models are at the Google 3D Warehouse .. you can clink on either on to go to the link.
This a little video i recorded as a test for some new software i downloaded for free.
I'll be posting new stuff I learn here. So if you know how to subscribe to a RSS feed then you can do so.
To see what progress I'm making. Thanks
My daughter Sarai wanted a sewing desk for her birthday last year,(Feb.) but since my shop isn't heated she had to wait a while till it warmed up like July ? No that's when I really finally got serious about it.
We took some measurements and came up with a plan. So I knew somewhat what I wanted it to look like and some of the details I wanted. I wanted to use mortise and tenon joints and some tapered legs. I built a tapering jig for the legs so I could cut them on my tablesaw and used m & t joints to join the legs and rails that would support the left side of the desk and built a separate case on the right to house the drawers I built using half blind dovetails .
The thing is I've studied woodworking and joinery for sometime know (20 years or better) and I finally got a chance to incorporate some of what I know into designing and building something I didn't read out of a book
The edge of the top was given a taper to go with the tapered legs.
The wood I used was pine. The thing about pine and some other woods like cherry is they become blotchy when you stain them. In other words you have some parts that look darker or lighter than the rest of the piece. Which is fine for store bought furniture but not for a custom made piece of fine furniture if you want to be proud of it.
The end result of what color of stain to use was my daughter's idea and while at first I was hesitant about it I was glad she had the vision of thinking outside the norm of traditional woodworkin
Yes teal. Add a back to it and several coats of brushed on polyurethane and Wala
I finally took some pics of the top installed. The hinges were not what I wanted but they worked.
The next step will be a tray for small things like rings and necklaces Then some velvet I’m thinking a cream colored velvet.
Well everything is going pretty well with the jewelry box . I got the box glued up and the feet attached. Now to finish the top and put some velvet on the inside and install some hinges. This project has not been with out problems though in that the main box wouldn't fit or work with any clamps I had, and the miters didn't come out as nice as I wanted. The chipout that occurred was at least on the inside of the box and I think I can fix that but it is posing some problems also but all in all not to bad.